Hollywood Can Wait for Me


Hollywood Can Wait for Me


I was only 21 when I had a recording contract for the production of my single on Sunset Blvd and I could afford a return ticket to any country overseas.
I was a well paid scriptwriter for the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) Channel 10, Lagos and also a public health illustrator for the Johns Hopkins University's Population Communication Services (JHU/PCS) on a family planning project for Nigeria.

I was already a popular artist and writer featured full page in the Times International Magazine and in the West Africa news magazine. But I was an arrogant Roman Catholic youth who loved rock music; I could sing and dance. But I refused to abandon my beloved mother who was a widow with six children, including myself. If I had gone to the US to become a rock star, believe it or not, I would not be what I am today. I am glad and grateful to Almighty God JEHOVAH for changing my direction to be born again and witness for HIM.


My buddies who left for the US and UK in 1984 did not make it as rock stars and writers. In fact, they have achieved nothing more than having wives, children and a house on mortgage. But no legacy.
A copy of my single about how it takes hardwork to make it on Broadway is in the Library of Congress in Washington, DC.
Unlike them, I would have made it. But I would have ended up a junkie or dead on the fast lane.

I became a born again Pentecostal Christian and a national Program Consultant for the UNICEF in Nigeria when I was only 25 and a prize winning writer. I wrote and got more books published and then #Nollywood became a sociocultural phenomenon for Nigerian youths started by young producers, directors and actors from the NTA.
That is why I can talk and write about Nollywood and the Nigerian film industry like an eagle knows all the hills, mountains, valleys, lakes, rivers, lagoons and seas on earth. And #Hollywood has been waiting for me for 30 years! Gosh!

Matthew 6:33: But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

###
Sunset Boulevard is a boulevard in the central and western part of Los Angeles County, California that stretches from Figueroa Street in Downtown Los Angeles to the Pacific Coast.


One of the greatest American films is Sunset Boulevard of 1950, directed and co-written by Billy Wilder. It had 11 nominations and won three Oscars at the 23rd Academy Awards on March 29, 1951.

~ By Ekenyerengozi Michael Chima, Publisher/Editor of the NOLLYWOOD MIRROR®Series.
https://www.amazon.com/author/ekenyerengozimichaelchima.
Michael Chima Ekenyerengozi | IndieWire
http://www.indiewire.com/author/michael-chima-ekenyerengozi.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rosman Sisters of Nollywood

Zenith International Film Festival: Guided Tours of Locations of Popular Nollywood Movies

Global Media and Entertainment Market is Expected To Reach US$2.3 Trillion by 2022