Why Drylab is Becoming Popular Among Filmmakers



Feedback selection from Drylab users.

In their own words, why directors and producers love it:


“I am one of the founders of Drylab. I chose to do it because I needed better tools to make better films and TV series. Today we use Drylab on all our productions. We are currently filming “Wilderness” for HBO, and both the client and the creatives on set are very pleased with the system. Everybody who gets a chance to use Drylab becomes loyal users”.
-  Stein Bruno Kvae, SF
Norway/Paradox, Kongens Nei, 1000 times goodnight, Utøya, Cold Pursuit.
Award: Amanda Award for Best Norwegian Film in Theatrical Release
.


From Script Supervisor:
“It takes me just seconds to find the references I need for costume, make up or dialogue. I will never go back to paper.”

– Aslaug Konradsdottir, Script Supervisor, The Hurt Locker, Beforeigners, Kontiki.



“I used Drylab on my latest feature film, “NOTAT”, and was surprised at how different and smooth I experienced the process of viewing dailies and the general overview of the material. Ten minutes after I had recorded a scene, it was available to me for viewing on my iPad in a clear and attractive order - and most importantly, it made it easier to discuss with DP, script supervisor and actors. I have never felt closer to my material before, and this is attributed to Drylab. I know that I will use it from now on.”
-  Ole Christian Madsen, Director & Screenwriter, Flammen og Citronen, Notat.

«I was introduced to Drylab on my feature film “HÅP” (HOPE), premiering November 2019. It was running on a dedicated iPad. I have never had such easy and well- functioning access to rushes on any previous production. The layout is simple and logical. I would bring the iPad to set every day and use it as a tool for continuity and light reference. It was so efficient and easy to use. I used the rushes every day, more actively than ever before».
-  Manuel Alberto Clario, Cinematographer, Nymphomania, Melancolia, Hope.

“I am currently using DRYLAB, with the possibility for Mac, it works flawlessly”.
-  Lars Westergaard, Cinematographer, Eye Witness, Lykkeland.


“Drylab is the ultimate tool for me as director. Directors don’t have many useful tools, but finally we have one that is very effective. Drylab makes my job easier, and gives me a better overview. I will ask to use Drylab on all future productions”.
-  Cecile Moslie, director (Grey’s Anatomy).

“Extremely quick and easy to find exactly what I was looking for. Both teams were always aware of the other's progress as it happened. I'm convinced Drylab has made the film better. It has certainly saved me a lot of time!”
–  Gareth Ellis Unwin, producer, Academy Award Winner, The King's Speech.

“To have every take in my pocket, easily available inside this little iPad is incredible. It’s a revolution! I’m using it on all my films!”
Erik Poppe, director, Utøya, Kongens Nei, A Somewhat Gentle Man.

“I miss Drylab! I’ve used it since its infancy. On the Netflix productions I’m currently directing, we’re forced to use Pix, which is very old fashioned, steals time, and ruins our flow. Nothing would be better than introducing Drylab on their productions”.
SMS from frustrated director (anonymized)

From production company:
«We produce around 25 high profile titles per year. Efficiency and quality, combined with creative control and perfect flow, are vital requirements for us. That’s why we chose to use Drylab. They are a great partner and very responsive to our needs. We are very content with the partnership!»
Cecile Moslie, director (Grey’s Anatomy).

From DiT:
“The Lab techs only need to keep a single library organized and up to date, which also makes it very easy to manage for a single technician. No need for extra crew in the Lab, which appeals to a wider range of production budgets”.
— Julian Lawrence, DIT on Pirates of the Caribbean, Aquaman, Godzilla
And it will save you both time and money:

«The dailies and metadata workflow we used on "The Heavy Water War" (an international TV series) was a giant step in the right direction. It's now an obvious choice for all of our future projects. Drylab ensures that all metadata end up in the right place at the right time, with considerably fewer errors.It eliminated several manual steps in the workflow, leading to both increased predictability and lower costs.
Cost savings:
The metadata from the shoots are automatically synchronized with the clips. We saved two editing assistants during shooting. In total we've saved 4-5 man months.
The logger was able to log and sync 6-7 shooting days (with two cameras) in just one day, compared to 2-3 days without Drylab.
What's left for the logger is to organize the material in a structure that suits the editor. With minor changes, Drylab Dailies would be able to automate the entire logging process.
An aspect that's more difficult to quantify is the reduced risk of errors. However, since manual metadata are recorded only once with the Drylab system, there's no doubt that we have saved a considerable amount in this area as well».
- Marcus B. Brodersen, Producer at Filmkameratene, Børning, Max Manus, Kampen om tungtvannet.

From Drylab AS, www.drylab.io October 2019.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Rosman Sisters of Nollywood

Zenith International Film Festival: Guided Tours of Locations of Popular Nollywood Movies

Global Media and Entertainment Market is Expected To Reach US$2.3 Trillion by 2022