Cristiano Ronaldo Kissing the Euro 2016 Trophy.
Photo Credit: DAILY MAIL.
THE EURO TROPHY
The Henri Delaunay Trophy, which is awarded to the winner of the European Championship, is named in honour of Henri Delaunay, the first General Secretary of UEFA, who came up with the idea of a European championship but died five years prior to the first tournament in 1960. His son, Pierre, was in charge of creating the trophy. Since the first tournament it has been awarded to the winning team for them to keep for four years, until the next tournament.
Portugal, the champions of the competition were awarded €8 million in addition to any prize money earned in earlier rounds – the biggest prize attainable was €27 million (for winning all group matches and the final).
- Prize for participating: €8 million
- Champions: €8 million
- Runners-up: €5 million
- Reaching the semi-finals: €4 million
- Reaching the quarter-finals: €2.5 million
- Reaching the round of 16: €1.5 million
- Winning a group match: €1 million
- Drawing a group match: €500,000